A No-Cost Key to Support Your Parent’s Long-Term Health
Most eligible Medicare recipients do not take advantage of a no-cost opportunity to support their health and wellness simply because they do not know about it! LeBauer HealthCare wants to help you promote your mother or father’s long-term health goals because we know you want to do all you can to ensure your parents stay as healthy as they can for as long as they can. Scheduling an annual wellness visit appointment for them is a great way to support them. Keep reading to discover what these visits cover, what you can do to help them prepare for an appointment, and how to schedule a free annual wellness visit.
Annual Wellness Visits are Free to Medicare Patients
Annual wellness visits are covered by Medicare as a free preventative health measure for current LeBauer Healthcare patients. These convenient appointments are all about helping promote long-term health. They give you the chance to raise as many issues, questions, or concerns as you or your parent may have with their health coach during their visit.
What to Expect During an Annual Wellness Visit With LeBauer
There isn’t always enough time during a regular checkup to discuss every aspect of a patient’s health, and many times, patients forget to bring something up during an appointment. Annual wellness visits are designed to be thorough and give you plenty of time to talk about whatever might be on your mind.
During a typical visit, health coaches review and assess different health issues, including:
- Family and medical history
- Known and potential health risks
- Current healthcare providers
- Durable medical equipment (DME) suppliers
- Prescriptions and medications (including over-the-counter medications)
- Overall current medical and mental health and treatments
- Weight, height, body mass index, and blood pressure
- Current pain and symptoms
- Personal and overall safety in the home
- Ability to perform daily activities such as bathing and dressing
- Advance directives
- Diet and exercise patterns
During annual wellness visits, there are several brief assessments the health coach will also walk through, including:
- Fall risk assessment
- A Mini Mental State Exam (MMSE) that tests for cognitive impairment, including Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia
- Screening for hearing impairment
- Screening for depression
- Creating a written 5-10 year screening schedule and checklist based on age, health status, and screening history
Patients can also expect their health coach to help identify a new health goal for the coming year and outline a plan to achieve that goal. Many patients plan to make changes in their diet, set a weight loss goal, or be more proactive in managing a chronic condition like diabetes. We are here to provide trusted support and a listening ear along the way.
“I like to tell my patients that health is not an appointment, it’s a lifestyle,” says Denisa O’Brien-Blaney, a health coach with LeBauer. “My mission is to meet each patient where they are today when they come to me for an annual wellness visit. I want each of them to be empowered to care for themselves and reach their goals. As we age, there are so many physical challenges to face. Annual wellness visits are a great way to catch things and get ahead of little problems now that could be bigger problems later. Whatever it is, we may not be able to stop it, or even cure it, but we want to stay close enough to your health to slow it down!”
The Benefit of Immediate Care
Annual wellness visits are also valuable because health coaches have immediate access to visual aids and ways to demonstrate tips or exercise instructions. Part of their goal is to make sure each patient fully understands what to do and how to care for themselves as they implement new routines and plans for their health goals. Health coaches can also provide immediate assistance for acute health conditions or make needed follow up appointments quickly and easily for chronic health issues.
“Annual Wellness Visits allow time to engage our patients in valuable discussions about their health and well being,” says Dr. Stacey Blyth, primary care physician with LeBauer. “It allows us time to identify patient barriers to care and to activate patients to become full participants in their healthcare. The visits help to solidify patient trust in our care and have been shown to improve outcomes and promote longevity and quality of life.”
What You Can Do Before the Appointment
You can help your mom or dad prepare for their annual wellness visit with a little time and homework before their visit. Any or all of the following things will help the visit flow smoothly and be as productive as possible:
- Gather a detailed list of medications (including over-the-counter medications or supplements) your parent is taking
- Make a list of any recent injuries, complications, or problems—anything that might have happened since their last appointment
- Write a list of questions, concerns, and issues you or your parent have about their health and options for promoting wellness
- Review this article and the list of things an annual wellness visit includes with your parent
Schedule a Free Annual Wellness Visit Today
We have made the process for scheduling an annual wellness visit easy. Current LeBauer HealthCare patients with Medicare coverage should call their LeBauer primary care office to make an appointment. We look forward to seeing you and your parent at one of our nine area offices soon!