Winter Workouts: Stay Fit With These Indoor and Outdoor Activities
Frigid temperatures and early sunsets make exercise more challenging in the winter months. If you don’t belong to a gym, staying active through the cold weather can be tough. However, with a little creativity, you can find ways to stay fit this winter.
Explore The Great Indoors
- Dance – Turn on the music at home and dance. Pick a few familiar favorites and one or two new songs and you can make it into a 20-minute workout.
- Be a Kid – Play games with your children. Move furniture off to the side if needed, and try a game of hide-and-go-seek or Simon Says.
- Master the Stairs – Take the steps at home or work at a brisk pace and repeat several times. It’s a great high-intensity cardio and leg workout.
- Visit the Mall – Walk at the local indoor mall with a friend. You’ll burn calories and connect socially at the same time.
- Clean the House – Active housework, such as vacuuming, mopping, and laundry, provides a workout.
Embrace the Chill
Bundle up and try one of the following outdoor activities.
- Rake Leaves or Shovel Snow – Both of these are great activities that can serve as an upper body and cardio workout.
- Walk the Dog – You and your pet can benefit from making this a daily routine. If you don’t have time for one long walk, try two shorter walks.
- Build a Snowman – Even adults can enjoy playing in the snow. Combine burning calories with creativity while you shape a unique snowman or snowlady.
If you are headed outside, be sure you are dressed appropriately for the cold.
- Dress in layers so you can remove a layer as you start to sweat. Your first layer should draw sweat away from your body. Try a thin synthetic material such as polypropylene.
- Wear a hat. Between 30 and 40 percent of your body heat is lost through your head.
- Try fleece-lined gloves or mittens.
- If it’s dark out, wear reflective clothing and carry a flashlight.
Set Fitness Goals with Your Doctor
Partnering with your primary care physician to set fitness goals is a great way to boost your health and work on weight, blood sugar levels, and cholesterol levels. The primary care physicians at LeBauer HealthCare take the time to talk with patients about their individual needs and goals. Make an appointment online today.